View Single Post
Old 04-01-2006, 11:06 PM

There were two issues discussed in this thread:

* asl.log growing in size due to many messages being written (harmless messages generated by Mac OS X Tiger)

* system.log growing due to similar messages

The asl.log issue is resolved by the neat little script (prune log) that was provided in an earlier post by the forum administrator. It works nicely.

I think the system.log file size issue is resolved by the DAILY maintenance script. I ran it manually and before doing so my system.log had been ~ 10 Meg having grown to that size just after running SD, but after the maintenance scripts the largest system.log (including the archived ones) was under 100 kbytes, which is nothing.

So SD has provided an automated cure to the asl.log growth (just add the script to your SD run), and it looks like to me that the automated Tiger maintenance scripts (which can be activated manually via terminal or via a free program like MacJanitor), which run every night automatically, somehow shrink the size of the system.log.

SD is not the only program that affects these log files this way. I think it's a defect in the way Mac OS X handles these log files. Until Apple cleans this up, I think it's really a non issue because Dave's prune-log script and the maintenance system scripts together remove the excess file sizes.