View Single Post
Old 03-04-2009, 11:31 AM

Dave: I posted this version on the Apple Forum just in case there's a known Apple bug. It includes more info than my posts here. Does it clarify the issue?

First, I make a clone of my main internal hard drive using SuperDuper. The clone is located on a second internal hard drive. I then boot from the clone and open Disk Utility on the clone. I then select Macintosh HD located on my main hard drive and attempt to Repair Disk. I get a message: The disk "Macintosh HD" could not be unmounted. It also happens when I try to run iDefrag from the clone to defrag Macintosh HD. Repair Permissions works fine. So does Verify Disk which reports that the volume is just fine. The problem does NOT occur when I Repair Disk on other volumes while booted from the same clone. I have no other known difficulties with the Macintosh HD volume.

I'm now running OS X v 10.5.6. This problem has not happened in the past with earlier versions of Leopard, although I'm not absolutely sure whether this problem started with 10.5.5 or 10.5.6. Any suggestions?