PDA

View Full Version : FW400 to FW800 backup + licencing query

Whomper
05-23-2008, 10:35 AM
I have a late 2006 24" Intel iMac with 1xFW400 and 1xFW800 port, using SuperDuper! to back up to a G-Tech G-Drive Q 500Gb drive (USB2/SATA/FW400/FW800).

This works a charm - haven't had to use a backup in anger yet, but I feel a lot better for having it there. My wife has just got a new Macbook, and with ample space spare on the G-Tech I'm planning to back it up to a different partition of the same disk.

Queries:

1) Does the standard licence for SuperDuper! allow installation on multiple machines in the same household? I couldn't find anything saying yes or no on the website or in my confirmation e-mail.
2) If not, would it be feasible to connect the Macbook to the iMac via FW400 in target disk mode, then backup to the G-Tech over FW800, effectively a FW-to-FW copy? Would this be bootable?

Don't mean to seem cheap, but it would seem odd to pay for software twice to back up to the same drive.

dnanian
05-23-2008, 10:48 AM
1) No, it's not intended to be a multi-user license. The general idea is that you can use it on your personal Macs. Other users in the household should have their own licenses.

2) Yes, that would be possible, but seriously -- SD! isn't expensive, and given the quality of the software and support, isn't it worth registering?

Whomper
05-23-2008, 11:51 AM
1) No, it's not intended to be a multi-user license. The general idea is that you can use it on your personal Macs. Other users in the household should have their own licenses.

I guess the question is how you define what's mine and what belongs to my wife - we both use the iMac (with a shared user, not seperate accounts), I'll be using the Macbook from time to time, and both computers, the backup drive and SuperDuper! were bought using funds from our joint account.

Seems odd that Johnny Singleton with six macs can use SD on the lot, but a married couple can't install it on two.

Anyway, cheers for the reply - the FW target disk option sounds like the best course of action.

dnanian
05-23-2008, 12:02 PM
We had to draw a line somewhere, so we drew one there. We're trying to be fair, and can only ask our users to do the same. In the end, it's up to you.