PDA

View Full Version : Let users name their jobs, please

TizzyD
04-14-2007, 04:57 PM
I recently set up a backup schedule that rotated between several back-up drives. On those drives, during the week, I stored disk images for each day of the week containing just the user documents. At the end of the week, I did a complete backup. (This way, I might be able to go back for several weeks if I need to recreate a file.)

Since I have several drives, I stored roughly the same settings several times, with slight differences--different weeks the script ran, different paths to the backup drives (I use Backup 1 and Backup 2 instead of just a shared name). In the schedule jobs, though, the names are not editable. So, quite honestly, it's difficult to understand what's what. Look at this list:

Smart Update Documents - Friday from Prajña
Smart Update Documents - Friday from Prajña 1
Smart Update Documents - Thursday from Prajña
Smart Update Documents - Thursday from Prajña 1

etc. etc. I would prefer more meaningful names to me, like "Backup 1, Friday Documents" or some other such item.

One way is to simply let users enter a value, and then it can be stored in the Session Settings file. And even more interesting, if you change the name of the package in which the settings are stored, the app will edit the name back if you change the schedule.

So, could you please let users name their own jobs? You can suggest one to start, if you want.

dnanian
04-14-2007, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Darrin.