PDA

View Full Version : Remote volume mount?

Massimo
05-18-2006, 06:33 PM
Hey,

I've seen that a lot of threads are discussing the possibility of mounting / un-mounting external drives, but what I can't figure out is if Super Duper! is capable of mounting drives attached to a network mac?

In my household we have two powerbooks and a mac mini. With our previous backup utility, Deja Vu (switched because of the extensive technology behind SD!), we could back up to the same disk through our local network (each night, waking them up by scheduling the energy saver), but is Super Duper! capable of this, or can it be achieved with Shell commands / applescripts? :confused:

And one feature that would be cool - if possible at all (utopia, I know) - not only SD! being able to wake a powerbook up before backing up, but also keeping it awake - even with the lid closed, during backup. That would be heaven for a powerbook user. Just leaving it be, go to sleep and let the backup program do the job... (Especially if backing up through Airport! Yum!) :D

Anyway, I digress... Sorry. Network volume backup - is it / will it be possible? :cool:

dnanian
05-18-2006, 06:46 PM
You can back up over a network to an image stored on the "far side", yes. And you'd wake it with energy saver the same way.

If the network drive is not mounted when it's time to do the backup, we'll mount it (assuming the password is in the keychain) automatically.

As far as backing up with the lid closed: I really wouldn't recommend it. It'd be keeping a lot of heat in, and heat is the enemy of a laptop...